1973 Nebula Awards®
East – Algonquin Hotel, New York, New York on April 27, 1974
West – Century Plaza Hotel, Hollywood, CA on April 27, 1974
A tour of Edwards Air Force Base was organized for Wednesday with a Thursday tour of Rockwell International that included seeing a full size space shuttle mock up. Friday had a three hour panel on sf in which the panelists constantly rotated in and out. The Friday evening party was held at Forrest J. Ackerman’s home. The Business Meeting was held on Saturday morning, followed by the editors’ panel, a talk by Harlan Ellison, and finally a panel made up of Al Worden and Edgar Mitchell. Bruce Murray and Robert Forward also gave presentations. Robert Bloch was the emcee and Worden, Murray, and Mitchell all spoke during the banquet. Arthur C. Clarke, who won for Rendezvous with Rama, was unable to attend, so Robert Heinlein passed around a copy of the book for all present to sign to be sent off to Clarke. An unofficial East Coast party was held at the Algonquin Hotel.
- The People of the Wind by Poul Anderson, published by Analog and NAL/Signet
- Winner: Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, published by Galaxy Science Fiction and Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
- The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold, published by Random House
- Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein, published by G. P. Putnam’s Sons
- Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, published by Viking
- “The White Otters of Childhood” by Michael Bishop, published by The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
- “Death and Designation among the Asadi” by Michael Bishop, published by If
- “Junction” by Jack Dann, published by Fantastic
- “Chains of the Sea” by Gardner Dozois
- Winner: “The Death of Doctor Island” by Gene Wolfe
- “The Deathbird” by Harlan Ellison, published by The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
- Winner: “Of Mist, and Grass, and Sand” by Vonda N. McIntyre, published by Analog
- “Case and the Dreamer” by Theodore Sturgeon, published by Galaxy Science Fiction
- “The Girl Who Was Plugged In” by James Tiptree Jr.
- “Shark” by Edward Bryant
- Winner: “Love Is the Plan the Plan Is Death” by James Tiptree Jr.
- “With Morning Comes Mistfall” by George R.R. Martin, published by Analog
- “Wings” by Vonda N. McIntyre
- “A Thing of Beauty” by Norman Spinrad, published by Analog
- “How I Lost the Second World War and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion” by Gene Wolfe, published by Analog