9/9/2021 – The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc. (SFWA) spotlights outstanding science fiction and fantasy with the release of the Nebula Awards Showcase 55. This latest volume of the prestigious anthology series, published annually since 1966, reprints finalist and winning works for the 55th Annual Nebula Awards® , as voted by SFWA’s full, senior, and associate members.
The anthology retails for $9.99 in ebook format on most online platforms, including Amazon, Apple, Kobo, and Bookshop.org for the print edition with more retailers coming soon.
This volume’s guest editor is Catherynne M. Valente, the New York Times bestselling author of over forty works of science fiction and fantasy for adults and young readers. Valente has won a number of awards, including the Nebula, Hugo, Lambda, Otherwise, Sturgeon, and Locus. She lives on an island off the coast of Maine with her partner, son, and a magnificent cat who will not stand to be cut from any bio.
Valente remarks, “The array of nominated works span just about every corner of the genre as it stood in 2019, an incredible spectrum of voices, perspectives, styles, and tales. I’m thrilled to have been able to help in bringing them together to show the truth—which is that we are living, right now, in a new Golden Age of Science Fiction.”
As part of the celebration of the Nebula Award winners, SFWA has partnered with audio-first entertainment studio Podium Audio to adapt, produce, and distribute the Nebula Awards Showcase 55 in audio format as well. A top publisher of science-fiction and fantasy audiobooks, Podium Audio is at the forefront of discovering new authors and voice artists from the U.S. and around the world. Publication of the audio version will be announced at a later date.
The full table of contents for the Nebula Awards Showcase 55 is below. Winners from the 55th Annual Awards are starred and include Sarah Pinsker, Amal El-Mohtar, Max Gladstone, Fran Wilde, Cat Rambo, and A.T. Greenblatt. New essays on the 2019 SFWA Damon Knight Grand Master Lois McMaster Bujold, the Game Writing Nebula Award, and the Ray Bradbury Outstanding Dramatic Presentation Nebula Award are included, along with full reprintings of the finalist and winning short stories and novelettes and excerpts from the novels and novellas.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction by Catherynne M. Valente
- “The Best of Twines, the Worst of Rhymes: A Tale of Two C++ies (or, Why Game Writing Is Bad and Great)” by Seth Dickinson
- “Queering Chaos” by Foz Meadows
- “Lois McMaster Bujold and Being a Grand Master” by LaShawn Wanak
- “Give the Family My Love” by A. T. Greenblatt*
- “The Dead, In Their Uncontrollable Power” by Karen Osborne
- “And Now His Lordship Is Laughing” by Shiv Ramdas
- “Ten Excerpts from an Annotated Bibliography on the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island” by Nibedita Sen
- “A Catalog of Storms” by Fran Wilde
- “How the Trick Is Done” by A.C. Wise
- “A Strange Uncertain Light” by G. V. Anderson
- “For He Can Creep” by Siobhan Carrol
- “His Footsteps, Through Darkness and Light” by Mimi Mondal
- “The Blur in the Corner of Your Eye” by Sarah Pinsker
- Excerpt: “Carpe Glitter” by Cat Rambo*
- “The Archronology of Love” by Caroline M. Yoachim
- Excerpt: A Song for a New Day by Sarah Pinsker*
- Excerpt: Riverland by Fran Wilde*
- Excerpt: “Anxiety Is the Dizziness of Freedom” by Ted Chiang
- Excerpt: “The Haunting of Tram Car 015” by P. Djèlí Clark
- Excerpt: “This Is How You Lose the Time War” by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone*
- Excerpt: “Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water” by Vylar Kaftan
- Excerpt: “The Deep” by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes
- Excerpt: “Catfish Lullaby” by A.C. Wise
Please visit our media kit for the Nebula Showcase 55 here, including social media shareables, cover art, and SFWA and Nebula logos. For more information, contact the SFWA Publications team at email@example.com.