52nd Nebula Award Conference Accessibility FAQ:
Q: How should I let the Nebula Award Weekend know about my accessibility accommodation needs?
A: As you register, please let us know if you have special requests for accessibility accommodation, for both on-site and off-site events. (e.g. transportation, mobility, vision, hearing, etc.). Information provided will be kept in the strictest of confidences.
If you have any questions or concerns before you register which are not answered here, please contact the events team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Is the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center an accessible hotel?
A: The Accessibility Checklist for SFWA Spaces was used before choosing the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center as the venue for the 52nd Nebula Conference and Awards. For more information, please visit: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-sheet/travel/pitdt-pittsburgh-marriott-city-center/#accessbility
FOR YOUR ACCESSIBILITY NEEDS
The Following Features Are Available:
- For more information call the general manager of the hotel. The hotel may be reached at: +1-412-471-4000.
- Accessible guest rooms have a 32 inch wide opening
- Fitness center entrance is accessible
- Main entrance is accessible
- Pathway to registration desk is accessible
- Registration desk is accessible
- Route to accessible guest rooms is accessible
- Service animals allowed for persons with disabilities
- Business center entrance is accessible
- Hotel has on site accessible self-parking
- Meeting spaces are all accessible
- Pool entrances are all accessible
- Restaurants and lounges are all accessible
- Self-operating lifts or sloped entry are not available for pools
Here are some other possible barriers for attendees:
- The elevators at the hotel might be too small for some larger mobility devices.
- Public hotel toilet facilities are all labeled “Men” and “Women.”
- The Nebula Award Weekend is not scent-free.
Q: What other accommodations are already planned for the Nebula Award Weekend event spaces?
A: Here is a list of planned accommodations per the Accessibility Checklist for SFWA Spaces:
- There will be accessible seating in all of the Nebula Award Weekend event spaces. This includes seating near the front for attendees with visual or hearing impairments and spaces for wheelchairs and scooters. Accessible seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All event spaces will have ramps to the stages, and microphones for speakers.
- If you have physical challenges with standing in lines, please alert a Nebula Award Weekend staff member, and they will ensure you get accommodation.
- Service animals are allowed per the ADA definitions.
- Other accommodations such as ASL interpreters and large-print publications are available upon request.
Q: What if I have dietary concerns for the Nebula Award Weekend Banquet?
A: Adjustments can be made to many of the food choices available at the Nebula Award Weekend Banquet. Please let us know your dietary needs when you register for the banquet.